Work opportunities are available to qualified students in the form of work-study. There are two types of Work-Study:

Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) is a federally funded need-based program. Students who answered “yes” to question 28 on the FAFSA form and have need may be awarded FCWS. FCWS is available in various areas on campus and with off-campus community service jobs as reading and math tutors. Although every effort is made to provide students with FCWS jobs, the College cannot guarantee a student will be able to earn the amount of money initially awarded. FCWS will be part of the student’s financial aid package if they are awarded.

Institutional Work-Study is for those students who do not qualify for any federal assistance is available. Students are placed in various job positions on campus. As they work their student bill is credited.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students are expected to maintain certain academic standards and make satisfactory progress toward completion of their declared program of study. The Financial Aid Office determines if applicants are eligible for financial aid assistance based on their prior academic records, whether or not they have previously received financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress is measured in two categories:

  • A qualitative academic standard minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 must be maintained each semester for Pell Grant, SEOG and FWS
  • A quantitative rate of progression or PACE.  Pace is measured in two increments:  
  • Completion of Attempted Credits:  Students must successfully complete two-thirds 67% of the cumulative credits attempted in the degree each term.
    • Maximum Time Frame: The student must be on track to graduate within the maximum timeframe for their declared degree program within 150% of their total program attempted credits.  Percentage is calculated for the cumulative pace by dividing the total number of successfully completed credits by the total number of credits attempted. 
    • Change of major – the credits earned under the new major will be applied in the calculation of attempted, earned, and maximum time frame.
    • Student may appeal the 150% period limit and be allowed to complete the degree.
    • Transfer of College Level Credits -  Students transferring to Little Big Horn College from another institution of higher education must inform the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office is required by federal law to make adjustments to prevent or correct over awards. When a student transfers from another college/ university, the student will start out on good academic status at Little Big Horn College, regardless of the student’s academic status at the previous college/university.  Grades for courses transferred must be A, B, C, or D, and courses transferred must be above 100 level.  Transfer credits are not used in calculating GPA.


Financial Aid Probation & Suspension

  • Probation:  A student is placed on probation if he/she does not complete the attempted credits for that particular term and/or does not maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.00. A student placed on probation IS still eligible for federal and state aid funding.
  • Suspension:  A student is placed on suspension if they do not complete attempted credits and/or does not maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.00 for two consecutive terms of enrollment. 


Incomplete Grade

Students placed on probation or suspension because they received an incomplete grade(s) will be removed from such status if the “I” is made up and a passing grade is earned.