Students and parent(s) pursuing financial aid should first apply for a FSA ID. This FSA ID will be used throughout a student’s college career; once a student receives this FSA ID, it may not be shared with anyone. To determine eligibility for all financial aid programs and scholarships available at LBHC, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually, available at, and list Little Big Horn College as a school choice on the FAFSA form step six. The LBHC school code is 016135. There are two types of financial assistance available to students at Little Big Horn College: Grants and Scholarships Work-Study Opportunities

The Federal Pell Grant is a program designed to provide financial aid to undergraduate students working towards their first degree. The U.S. Department of Education administers the Pell Grant and determines the funding amount available to the student. The purpose of the Pell Grant is to provide funding for educational expenses. Pell Grants are disbursed to students in one payment within the semester for those students that have completed their file in the financial aid office and have met all requirements. Financial Aid disbursements are made after the 7th week of classes. Federal Pell Grant will pay for only one (1) repeated course; if a student does not pass a course the first semester and repeats the course the second semester it is payable, however, after the second semester, Federal Pell Grant will not pay for the repeated course. Students are allowed up to two Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees at Little Big Horn College. After acquiring two degrees at LBHC, students are encouraged to go on to a four-year institution so that they will not exhaust their Federal Pell Grant at Little Big Horn College. Pell Grant will provide funding for only twelve (12) semesters of study. Students pursuing a second Associate degree at Little Big Horn College will be asked to appeal their Federal Pell Grant so that they understand they may exhaust their federal funding at Little Big Horn College. Federal Regulations require that students establish attendance/participation in coursework each term to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Federal Pell Grant recipients, Pell Grant award amount will be based on the courses he/she is registered AND in attendance. The grant is disbursed based on the number of credits for which attendance has been confirmed. The student will not be eligible for Pell Grant for courses which he/she does not attend and for the full-time Pell amount. 

Some students will be required to submit tax return transcripts, W-2 forms and other income documentation to verify the accuracy of the information the applicant provided on the FAFSA application. 

When a student withdraws before completing 60% of the semester, the college must return to the Department of Education any unearned Federal Financial Aid funds up to the unearned percentage of institutional charges for the portion of the period the student did not complete. If a student leaves without officially withdrawing, the college will attempt to determine a last day of attendance through instructors’ attendance records or a review of academically related activity. An academically-related activity includes, but is not limited to, an exam, a tutorial, academic counseling and turning in class assignments. The calculation for the Return of Title IV Funds may result in the student owing a balance to either the college and/or the federal government.

Work opportunities are available to qualified students in the form of work-study. There are two types of workstudy:

Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) is a federally funded need-based program. Students who answered “yes” to question 28 on the FAFSA form and have need may be awarded FCWS. FCWS is available in various areas on campus and with off-campus community service jobs as reading and math tutors. Although every effort is made to provide students with FCWS jobs, the College cannot guarantee a student will be able to earn the amount of money initially awarded. FCWS will be part of the student’s financial aid package if they are awarded.

Institutional Work-Study is for those students who do not qualify for any federal assistance is available. Students are placed in various job positions on campus. As they work their student bill is credited.

Students are expected to maintain certain academic standards and make satisfactory progress toward completion of their declared program of study. The Financial Aid Office determines if applicants are eligible for financial aid assistance based on their prior academic records, whether or not they have previously received financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress is measured in two categories:

  • A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 must be maintained each semester for Pell Grant and 2.5 for scholarships.
  • Completion of credit load as determined by enrollment status (i.e. full time, part time).
  • Probation:

A student is placed on probation if he/she does not complete the attempted credits for that particular term and/or does not maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.00. A student placed on probation IS still eligible for federal and state aid funding. 


  • Suspension:

A student is placed on suspension if they do not complete attempted credits and/or does not maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.00 for two consecutive terms of enrollment. 

Students placed on probation or suspension because they received an incomplete grade(s) will be removed from such status if the “I” is made up and a passing grade is earned. 

Every student has the right to appeal if he/she is on probation, suspension, has repeated courses or has exceeded his/her duration of eligibility. Students may obtain the Financial Aid Appeal Form from the Financial Aif Office. The complete Financial Aid Appeal From should be submitted with a copy of the student’s transcripts and all other necessary documents to the Financial Aid Office. Students are allowed one appeal. The appeals committee will make the final decision on the appeal; the committee is comprised of the Dean of Students, Dean of Academics, Dean of Administration, Chief Finance Officer, Registrar, President, Department Heads, and Financial Aid Staff. 


Apply here for American Indian College Fund Scholarships